Friday, March 2, 2012

As Silent As Snow

A snowy Brock print by Graeme Walker...
Badgers hibernate.

They grumble, turn 'round in their sleep, and think of Spring. Still, they sleep (albeit lightly and with many "waking dreams").

A strange thing happened this winter when my badger's home was uprooted; Brock was tossed out in "the snow" (so to speak) but I met and came to know (and be known by) all those remarkable community members who make for such good press. Many came to help in my hour of need. Hot topics and great journalistic material swirled around me in a heady mix while we packed my belongings but I had more than enough issues of my own to address. I stopped writing. I remade my life. Meanwhile, friendships forged under fire became sacrosanct. The badger in me determined to sleep through the details she overheard.

The challenge now for Brock is to write of a community no one knows in a way that enlightens without discord. I know those stories exist. I will find them. (If it's politics you belabor there are plenty of blogsites for that.) As for Brock Ba'jer she will try another type of "story"... the unexpected. The favorable. The grateful.

So. For a little while longer the badger sleeps...

What will she write when she awakes?

We shall see...






Click here for a lovely site on badgers, snowy woods and other fine natural wonders...
http://aeshnacaerulea.blogspot.com/

No comments: